Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Dream Deferred


Writing short stories is something I have been passionate about since I figured out at the tender age of eight that I couldn't live without reading a good story. But writing for the pleasure of it has been a challenge. Being self critical and constantly editing my work before it has had the chance to blossom into something fun and organic has been a constant barrier. For a while I left writing short stories altogether and thought to pursue something else, but the dream was always alive even though deferred.

I always came back, like an addict looking to inject the written word back into my life. There are probably a dozen unfinished stories sitting on my hard drive and sitting in the "draft" section of my other blogs. My writer's wasteland and scrap yard.

Langston Hughes's short poem above grasps the meaning I'm trying to imply, that there's something dangerous about a dream deferred. It's an idea itching to be born and like Morpheuse's splinter-in-your-mind that slowly drives one mad. (That's right Matrix reference, #NerdAlert)

So no more deferring the dream, I will write my stories. For myself and anyone else that wants to see my thoughts on paper (or screen, more likely). I promise to have something up once in a while, so check back occasionally to see the kind of word vomit I've produced to silence my writing demons. I'll try to make it as interesting and engaging as possible, but let me know through comments how I'm doing. I'll definitely take requests on the type of genre or even a story idea if you want to share it with me.

To steal Ensign Kim's toast from Star Trek Voyager, "To the journey!"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful Qasir! I enjoy reading what you come up with. I love the Star Trek and Matrix references and hope to hear some neat Sci-Fi stories (as well as any others). My 2012 goal is to write at least one poem a day:
    http://rainydaylibrary.blogspot.com/
    I am hoping to post them somewhere as well. I have a blog with Kevin Wang as well: http://godisthecubetooursquare.wordpress.com/
    Happy Blogging and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Thank you for being the first to comment on my little blog here :)

    I've added your blog (Rainy Day Library) and the blog you contribute to (God-Cubes) to my list and I intend to be a frequent reader!

    Thank you for also participating in the poll :) I'll whip up something sci-fi as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete